Celebrating 30 years, Kmart together with The Salvation Army are helping those in need at Christmas and beyond!
Who does the Appeal help?
The Kmart Wishing Tree Appeal helps everyone. We receive a lot of gifts for children, but we also distribute gifts to anyone that might be having a hard time. Thanks to our Appeal partner, The Salvation Army, everyone including adults and the elderly are assisted by the Kmart Wishing Tree Appeal.
How did the Appeal start?
The idea for the Kmart Wishing Tree Appeal began in 1987 when an Adelaide team member suggested Kmart use its wide network of stores as gift collection points to assist charity groups at Christmas time. From there the Appeal grew and grew to become what it is today.
What has the Appeal accomplished?
The Kmart Wishing Appeal is Australia’s largest and longest running Christmas gift Appeal. Thanks to the incredible generosity of the Australian community, the Appeal has raised more than 8 million gifts that have been distributed to those in need. In 2016, the Appeal successfully collected more than 380,000 gifts.
Give a gift in-stores
With your gifts in tow, visit your local Kmart store and take a tag from the Wishing Tree. Using one end of the tag, indicate the age group and gender of who you think might like to receive your gift then place it under the Wishing Tree. Don’t forget to take the other half of the tag home to hang on your tree!
Alternatively, you can leave your gift at the express drop off point located at the front of the store. A Salvation Army representative will then collect the gifts from Kmart stores and oversee their distribution to those in need.
Gifts do not need to be purchased at Kmart, nor do they need to be wrapped. The Appeal is unable to accept used or second-hand gifts.Find your nearest store
Gift giving is a very important part of the Appeal but cash contributions are also welcomed so that The Salvation Army can continue assisting those in need. If you want to help show others they are not alone this Christmas, you can also give online by visiting The Salvation Army’s website.Give now at The Salvation Army
Give as a group
If you’re a group or business and would like to support the Kmart Wishing Tree Appeal, please register your interest by filling out a form in the link below.
Some fun ways you can get involved in the Appeal are:
- Put a charitable spin on your workplace or school Kris-Kringle or secret Santa this year. Instead of pulling each other’s names out of a hat you could pull out a different age group to buy a gift for and place these under the Wishing Tree at your local Kmart store.
- Hold a fundraiser such as a BBQ lunch for your workplace and use the money raised to give a contribution to the Appeal.
- Be generous and donate staff bonuses or team building money to those less fortunate.
- Organise a bake sale or mini-fete with all the money raised going towards the Appeal.
- Have a casual clothes day or sausage sizzle with money raised going towards a donation to the Appeal.
- If you require any additional information or have any queries, please call a member of the Wishing Tree team at Kmart on (03) 1800 124 125 or email email@example.com. Simply fill out the online form to get involved!
Give money in-store
You can also make a cash contribution in any Kmart store by:
- Taking a bauble tag from the Wishing Tree and scanning it at any register to give a $5, $7 or $10 contribution to the Appeal.
- Click the Wishing Tree logo on self-serve checkouts to add a contribution to your transaction.
- Take a tree tag off the Wishing Tree and scan it at any register to give to the Appeal.
- Drop a coin in a coin collection box located at the registers.