Home Decorator’s Delight: 5 Designer Tips For Modern Pastel Interiors
Posted on February 1, 2016
Stockholm side table, $25. Marble splice cushion, $10.
Revamping your home with soft pastels in pink, mint green and grey is easy with these designer tips for a stylish and contemporary interior look.
1. Throw Some ShadePastel shades, that is! "Pastels are a great way to update your home," explains Kmart Homewares Designer, Helen. "Start with shades of grey, black and white, and then overlay your pastels. “Our hero pastel this season is definitely pink," says Helen. "We’ve also used mint green and pale blue throughout our ranges, which all work back beautifully with grey." Assorted canisters $5ea.
2. Go Bold, Or SoftPastels by nature create a chilled sense of calm, but you can easily go bold. "They're a great way of introducing light and softness into the home," explains Helen. "Adding black is a great way to add contrast and we've been seeing a lot of black and monochrome lately, so it’s a perfect way to combine two of our favourite trends!"
3. Throw In Texture And Shape"Texture is really important this season." says Helen. "It’s all about layering," she suggests. "Add a faux fur rug and work it back with our new felt ottoman. Cushions and throws are great for adding depth, while details such as marble and metallic act as highlights. "We also have a lot of hexagons, grids and clean geometrics prints which gives the range a real contemporary edge."
4. Extend The Theme"You'll be able to take this trend from the indoors with soft furnishings, dinnerware and decor to the outdoors with our amazing range of pots and planters!" says Helen. "Our canisters are available in pastel pink, grey, white and black, marble finish as well as printed and embossed - all of which are designed to mix and match. We’ve seen them used all over the house for storage, as well as small planters and even vessels for hand poured candles!" "You can also update your bathroom with some new towels or accessories, or make a cool, bold statement in the bedroom with a Pebble quilt cover and charcoal throw," explains Helen.
5. Add Scandinavian Flair"Pastels definitely work with blonde timbers and clean Scandi finishes," explains Helen. "In saying that there are no hard and fast rules as its all about your own personal style and taste. We've got such an exciting range of furniture at Kmart at the moment that there is definitely something for everyone! So if your taste is a little more industrial, timeless and classic or bold and monochrome, it’s just a matter of making it work for you!"
Pebbles QB quilt cover set, includes: 1 quilt cover and 2 pillowcase, $22.
Please note: The products featured in this story are available to purchase in store from 1 February – 21 February 2016.
Copyright Kmart 2017